📷 Image: Wikimedia Commons / The White House from Washington, DC
International
Supreme Court Rejects Trump’s Appeal to Block E. Jean Carroll Award
✍️ WION
🗓 18 Aug 2026, 05:18 AM
👁 4
The U.S. Supreme Court denied former President Donald Trump's renewed request to halt the award of a $5 million settlement to former New York Times columnist E. Jean Carroll.
The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected former President Donald Trump's renewed appeal to block the award of a $5 million settlement to former New York Times columnist E. Jean Carroll.
Trump had previously sought to prevent the award, arguing that the case was a political attack. The Court, however, declined to intervene, citing that the award had already been granted and that the case was not a matter of federal jurisdiction.
The decision means that Carroll will receive the settlement, which was awarded after a civil lawsuit in which Trump was found liable for defamation and sexual assault. The ruling also signals that the Court will not interfere in civil judgments that have already been finalized.
Trump’s legal team has said it will explore other avenues, but the Supreme Court’s denial effectively ends the immediate attempt to block the award.
Trump had previously sought to prevent the award, arguing that the case was a political attack. The Court, however, declined to intervene, citing that the award had already been granted and that the case was not a matter of federal jurisdiction.
The decision means that Carroll will receive the settlement, which was awarded after a civil lawsuit in which Trump was found liable for defamation and sexual assault. The ruling also signals that the Court will not interfere in civil judgments that have already been finalized.
Trump’s legal team has said it will explore other avenues, but the Supreme Court’s denial effectively ends the immediate attempt to block the award.