📷 Image: TOI City (via NewsData)
Crime
55-year-old dies after alleged police assault at Chinthamani, Madras HC orders probe
✍️ TOI City
🗓 19 Aug 2026, 09:45 AM
👁 1
A 55‑year‑old man died weeks after his family said he was assaulted by police at Chinthamani station; the Madras High Court has ordered an inquiry and an autopsy to determine the cause.
A 55‑year‑old resident of Tamil Nadu died a few weeks after his relatives reported that he had been assaulted by police officers at Chinthamani police station. The family said the man collapsed shortly after the alleged assault, suffering from severe headaches and vomiting before his condition worsened.
According to the relatives, the victim experienced persistent, debilitating head pain and repeated bouts of vomiting, symptoms they attribute to the police encounter. They maintain that the assault triggered a rapid decline in his health, ultimately leading to his death.
Police officials have rejected the allegation of custodial violence, stating that the man's deteriorating health was the result of a fall he suffered on July 24, unrelated to any police action. They contend that the injury from that fall explains his symptoms.
In response to the conflicting accounts, the Madras High Court has directed that a formal inquiry be conducted and an autopsy performed to establish the precise cause of death. The court’s order aims to provide an independent medical assessment and determine whether the police assault claim holds merit.
The investigation remains ongoing, and authorities have indicated that findings from the autopsy and inquiry will be made public once the examination is complete.
According to the relatives, the victim experienced persistent, debilitating head pain and repeated bouts of vomiting, symptoms they attribute to the police encounter. They maintain that the assault triggered a rapid decline in his health, ultimately leading to his death.
Police officials have rejected the allegation of custodial violence, stating that the man's deteriorating health was the result of a fall he suffered on July 24, unrelated to any police action. They contend that the injury from that fall explains his symptoms.
In response to the conflicting accounts, the Madras High Court has directed that a formal inquiry be conducted and an autopsy performed to establish the precise cause of death. The court’s order aims to provide an independent medical assessment and determine whether the police assault claim holds merit.
The investigation remains ongoing, and authorities have indicated that findings from the autopsy and inquiry will be made public once the examination is complete.